More than ever, parents are having a huge effect on their kid’s future driving habits. You may not realize, but when you drive with your kids in the car, they observe you and learn from you. Good or bad, your kids will pick up your habits and apply them once they reach the age to get behind the wheel. This is why it is so important to set a good example for your kids behind the wheel and teach them good driving habits. This will give you peace of mind when that day comes that your teen is ready to drive.
Here are some ways that you can set a good example for your future teen drivers:
- Obey traffic laws and follow the speed limit
- Leave a car’s length ahead of you and avoid tailing other cars
- Don’t show signs of road rage such as yelling or being crude towards other drives
- Use your signals to switch lanes or turn
- Show them that respect is required on the road by slowing down for pedestrians, going slowly in work zones, getting out of the way of fire trucks and ambulances, and pulling over for law enforcement officers when they signal for you to pull over
- Don’t use your cell phone while driving
- Try not to be distracted while driving and pay attention to the road
By setting an example, you will make a difference in the way that your teen approaches driving when its time. Also, teach your kids good vehicle maintenance and how to properly service their cars and when. Here at Broad Stroke, we are here to help with all of your family’s vehicle needs and will ensure that your cars are safe and reliable.